Dough for Bread:
• 1 cup whole wheat flour
• 1/2 tsp salt
• 1-2 Tbsp oil (canola oil or vegetable oil)
Preparation for the dough:
1. Mix the ingredients together in a bowl; add water as needed to make firm dough. Grease your palm and Knead the dough for a minute on a lightly greased surface to make it smooth and pliable. Let the dough sit aside for about 15 minutes.
2. Knead the dough on a lightly greased surface. The dough should be very smooth and soft. Kneading the dough is important to make good parathas.
3. Divide the dough into six equal parts and form into balls. Roll dough ball into a 3” circle. Spread about 2 drops of oil and pull the edges of the dough to wrap. Repeat to make all six balls.
Ingredients for Stuffing:
• 50 grams soya bean seeds
• 1 tsp salt or as per taste
• 1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
• 1 tsp red chili flakes
• 1/8 tsp asafetida (hing)
• 2 tsp ginger (finely grated)
• 1/4 cup mint (finely chopped)
• 1/4 cup cilatro
• 3 Tbsp oil (canola oil or vegetable oil)
• 1/2 cup lukewarm water
Preparation method for the stuffing:
Soak the soy beans overnight or at least 2-3 hours prior to cooking.
- Boil the beans for 10-15 minutes or until soft.
- Put the boiled beans into a bowl and mix all the ingredients together to make a dry paste.
- Meanwhile heat the heavy skillet on medium heat until moderately hot. To test, sprinkle water on the skillet. If the water sizzles right away, the skillet is ready.
- Take one dough ball and press it lightly on both sides on a surface covered with dry flour. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough into about 2-3 inches in circle. Pull the edges of the dough to wrap it around the potato filling. Repeat to make all six balls.
- Place the Paratha over the skillet. When you see the color change and the paratha will puff in different places. Turn the paratha over.
- After few seconds, spread 1/2 teaspoon oil onto the paratha. Turn the paratha over, and spread again 1/2 teaspoon of oil. Using your spatula, lightly press the entire surface of the paratha to help it cook all the way through. It will puff.
- After a few seconds, flip the paratha and press with a spatula making sure the paratha is golden-brown on both sides. Repeat for the remaining parathas.
Experiment with your favorite herb. Be sure to pat the herbs dry before adding to the mixture.
- Flatbreads aka parathas can be served with Tomato Chutney, Plain Yogurt, or your choice of a dip.
- Serve it like a Mexican quesadilla by topping it with cheese and sliced tomatoes, then folding it in half.